Black Swan Arts Open 2017 - Entry Guidelines
The Arts Open demonstrates the on-going and major commitment of Black Swan Arts to the development of talent and to the building of strong links with the community, locally, regionally and nationally.
This guide contains useful information to help you make a successful submission to the Arts Open. Don’t be put off by the amount of information - we are trying to cover every eventuality. We recommend that you print out this document and have it ready to refer to during the submission process. If you are unclear, then contact us for clarification (contact details at the end of the sheet). Information and application can be accessed from the website www.blackswan.org.uk
The Black Swan Arts Open is an ‘open submission’ (anyone can enter) competition that will be judged by arts professionals from a broad range of disciplines. Entry can only be via the online submission process on our website. A fee of £12 per image is charged and artwork is submitted as a digital image. It will be reviewed by our judges, who select in the region of 100 pieces for the exhibition – they also choose the prize winners. Works chosen needs to be delivered in a timely way to the Black Swan Arts Centre for the exhibition.
WHAT CAN YOU SUBMIT?
ONLY ORIGINAL ARTWORK will be considered, but any medium will be considered, including applied arts and digital media. There may be limitations on exhibiting certain items in terms of scale, equipment or health and safety - if you are in any doubt then please contact us. We will endeavour to display all works selected.
BEFORE YOU ENTER
PREPARE A DIGITAL IMAGE OF YOUR WORK
Because judging will be from a digital image of your work, you will need to upload a good quality digital photograph of your artwork via our online form when prompted to do so. If you are unfamiliar with taking or preparing digital images, then we suggest you find somebody to help you with this.
ADVICE ON TAKING A DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPH
Place the work in an uncluttered space or on a plain wall so that the artwork is clearly defined.
Use a digital camera (or phone or equivalent) and take a picture. Make sure that…
- Only the artwork appears in the photograph
- If the item is very large or very small, please put a tape measure in the photograph to give an idea of scale
- It is a clear, focused image
- It is in colour against a plain background
PREPARE YOUR IMAGE FOR UPLOAD
- Make the application from your phone or iPad
- Or transfer the image from your phone, iPad or camera to your computer.
- Save the image as a JPEG file less than 5MB in size. We suggest you ask for help if you are unsure about how to size the image or upload it.
- Give the image a file name of LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, ARTWORK TITLE.
- Have your image(s) completely ready to use before you continue.
FILM & ANIMATION: Please upload a still and then contact us by email to arrange delivery of film.
ONLINE SUBMISSION IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS
Next fill in the submission form by clicking the link on the webpage www.blackswan.org.uk
1. ENTER YOUR INFORMATION
- Fill in your personal details, and progress to next page
- At this point you will receive an email with details of your submission so far, including a submission ID. If you experience problems with the process contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will be able to return to your entry at any time to make amendments, up until 8 September.
- Paid for submissions can be changed but not refunded.
2. UPLOAD & SUBMIT IMAGES OF YOUR WORK
You can upload a maximum of four images of your artwork and before you start make sure you have the following information ready:
- SUBTITLE OR DESCRIPTION (up to 20 words)
- MEDIUM USED (up to 20 words)
- SIZE OF WORK (Duration of Film or time-based media)
- SELLING PRICE (Include in the total the 35% gallery commission. e.g. if selling price = £100, you get £65 and the gallery £35).
To UPLOAD YOUR IMAGE or FILM/ANIMATION STILL
- Make sure you have the image/s in your computer or device are to hand so that when you click browse, you can find your image.
- ENSURE images are in JPEG format and below 5MB in size – otherwise they will take a long time to load. You might need to resize your image to make it smaller.
Please only press the [submit this image] button ONCE - larger images may take some time to upload.
REVIEW YOUR DETAILS
Review your entry by taking time to check all the details and if correct, then continue to payment.
Our preferred method of payment is online via PayPal. By clicking ‘Pay Now’ button you will be redirected to PayPal where you will be able to pay securely using a debit/credit card or your PayPal account.
- See Order Summary and check amount
- If you have PayPal account log in to your account to pay using your PayPal email and password.
- If you don't have a PayPal account, then follow instructions that enable you to pay with a debit or credit card.
- If you need to discuss alternative payment methods please email us at email@example.com
If you are selected for the exhibition you will be notified by email by end of September. For any further information or assistance, email the office on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01373 473980 (10am – 12 noon weekdays)
DATES TO REMEMBER
- Deadline for entries: 13 September
- Email to artists selected: by 25 September
- Photos and biogs of selected artists: required by 26 September
- Delivery to Black Swan Arts: 22-24 October
- Artists Preview: 1 November
- Exhibition dates: Exhibition: 2 - 29 November
Download as PDF