Black Swan Arts Young Open 2018 - Entry Guidelines
We hope that you find all the information you need in these guidelines to enable you to enter the Young Open 2018. If you have any questions about the competition please contact us on 01373 473980 (office hours 9am-12pm) or e-mail email@example.com
- Individual entries accepted from Friday 8 December.
- Group/school entries accepted from Wednesday 17 January.
- The closing date for entries has been extended to Friday 23 February.
- All selected artworks must be delivered to the Black Swan Arts Long Gallery on Wednesday 7, Thursday 8 or Friday 9 March 1 -
5pm, or Saturday 10 between 10am-4pm and Sunday 11 March 10am- 1 pm.
- The EXHIBITION will be open from Midday, Saturday 17 March - Saturday 7 April
- Entry is online only at www.blackswan.org.uk/young-open
- All forms of art and craft work can be entered – painting, drawing, collage, pottery, ceramics, jewellery, textiles, photography, animation, video as well as metal work, carpentry and sculpture.
- There are 3 age groups:
- 8yrs – 11yrs
- 12yrs – 15yrs
- 16yrs – 19yrs
- The cost is:
- £5 for one artwork
- £8 for two artworks
- £10 for three artworks
- £12 for four artworks
Price for group entries below
- The maximum number of entries per person is FOUR.
The entry process is in three parts:
- The entry form to be filled in with personal information
- The uploading of photo/s of the artwork/s
- The payment which must
madebefore work is accepted.
Each entry will be seen by our selection committee who will choose the works to be included in the exhibition. If chosen, your work will be curated, judged and exhibited for hundreds of people to see. If you are a winner your prize will be a unique, one-to-one workshop given by one of the following inspirational working artists.
Jenny Barton - Ceramics
Amanda Bee – Painting
Hans Borgonjon - Pottery
Fiona Campbell – Sculpture
David Daniels – Animation
Suzie Gutteridge – Felting
Rosie Hart – Digital Media and Painting
Mayumi Kaneko – Natural
Nicky Knowles – Painting/collage
Ben O’Brien - Illustration
Gladys Paulus – Felt making
Chris Pig - Printmaking
Alex Relph – Metalwork/Sculpture
CREATE YOUR ARTWORK
- The size of two-dimensional pictures must not be bigger than A2 (594 x 420 mm/23.4in x 16.5in) including any borders.
- Three-dimensional pieces must fit on a base no bigger than 500 x 500 mm (19.75in x 19.75in).
TAKE A DIGITAL PHOTO OF YOUR ARTWORK
- Prepare a digital camera or phone to take the picture;
- Put the work in a clear space or on a plain wall;
- Make sure that:
- Only the artwork is in the photo,
- It is clear, bright and in focus,
- It is in colour.
- Upload the photo
- Transfer the photo from your camera or phone to your computer;
- Save the photo in a JPEG file. It must be NO BIGGER THAN 1MB;
- Give the image a title you will remember, such as your name and title of work.
COMPLETE THE ONLINE ENTRY FORM
Before you begin
- Information about you and the artwork
- The photo/s ready to upload
- A card to use for payment
- You must follow the instructions on the screen carefully
INFORMATION about YOU AND YOUR ARTWORK
IMPORTANT NOTICE: when typing, take care to take out extra punctuation from the file name and image title. So, remove extra full stops and apostrophes. Dashes/hyphens and spaces are fine. Keep the subtitle fewer than 35 words.
As well as your name, contact details and school, you will need to include:
- The TITLE OF THE WORK
- The MATERIALS YOU HAVE USED
- The SIZE OF WORK
- The SELLING PRICE (if you are happy for your work to be sold, please note Black Swan Arts take a 20% commission)
Agree that you are happy
You will know your entry has been successfully accepted when you get an email confirming your payment. If you don’t get that message within three days of sending your entry, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are having problems entering your artwork online, please do not hesitate to email email@example.com explaining your reasons and we will email you with links to a downloadable entry form.
We welcome group entries from schools and clubs.
- There are 3 age groups
- 8yrs – 11yrs
- 12yrs – 15yrs
- 16yrs – 19yrs
- The cost of entry is:
10 artworks and under £40 11-20 artworks £75 21-30 artworks £105 31-40 artworks £130 41+ artworks £150
- All forms of art and craft can be entered – painting, drawing, collage, pottery, ceramics, jewellery, textiles, metalwork, woodwork, photography, video, animation and sculpture.
- Not all pieces of work will be accepted for the exhibition.
TEACHERS/GROUP LEADERS – You can register as many students/artworks as you like by buying credits. One credit is equal to one artwork. In order to enter